My record collection
#063: Luna - Dear Paulina
Luna’s Dear Paulina single was released in September 1999 and is one of the few physical achievements of A Head Full of Wishes.
Here are some facts - some of which are repeated from the post linked below, and some might be new:
- It is the only release (so far) on GRANGE85RECORDS - so named because at the time I lived at 85 Studley Grange Road - I don’t live there any more… so, don’t write to me there.
- The run out groove has the URL www.aald.demon.co.uk/galaxie/ inscribed in there - the domain doesn’t exist any more… so, don’t bother visiting it… except in the Wayback Machine.
- The insert included the URL above and an email address that also no longer exists.
- The picture on the sleeve is of Hazel, taken by my friend Martin.
- The single is probably technically a bootleg since I don’t think Dean should have given it to me since it belonged to the makers of the film that it was used in. Although he was quite confident that a small run on a UK indie wouldn’t come to their attention.
- In the film, “Dallas”, played by Paulina Porizkova, chooses to play ‘Dear Paulina’ while torturing/raping “Casey” - she plays a CD of it.
- The track has never been released on CD.
- Dear Paulina eventually turned up on the Rarities LP as part of the Long Players 92-99 box set - although, disappointingly, the sleeve wasn’t included in the “a collection of singles and EPs” picture in the booklet.
- The British Library has a copy of the single - here is the BL catalogue entry.
Remember banner ads - not that it was an ad, I didn't pay for it to be placed anywhere:
- Catalogue Number: AHFOW 11/0049
- Artist: Luna
- Title: Dear Paulina / Seven-Eleven
- Packaging: Paper wraparound sleeve in poly bag and paper insert
- Format: 7”
I’ve actually already written far too much about the single, mostly in this post so if you want the full story of how Dear Paulina came about probably best head over there - you’ll be able to nab mp3s of both sides of the single there too.